Don't read it and weep. Let's read it and Paint!
I was thinking on how to make a promotion thread more interesting and engaging, and this is what I came up with. The general gist: read three chapters of the poster above you and draw a picture based off of them.
1) Find the last participant's post. Click their chosen link and read the first three chapters of their novel.
2) From those three chapters, pick a moment you really like or are inspired by and use Paint (or your computer's equivalent basic drawing program) to create that moment. No worries about quality here! Simply pick something friendly for all readers.
3) Link back to the author's story, post your image, give a brief summary of the situation, and provide a short explanation of why you picked it.
4) Link your own story at the end to continue to cycle.
5) Participate only once per day in this manner to prevent constant spamming of the same story, although discussion is otherwise encouraged!
This is naturally going to use the honor system, so please do read the three chapters in their entirety instead of picking the first scene of the first chapter for your image. The hope is this encourages participants to give stories they might have otherwise not checked out a chance, as well as to give us all a fun and fair shot at new readership, engagement, and feedback
1) It's fine if another post goes through in the interim between reading the chapters and making your drawing, or someone picks from the same post as you. Just continue with what you were working on.
2) That said, please keep an eye for any entries that get missed due to multiple posts after them! I will also try to update the thread with stories that haven't gotten a response post after a certain amount of time.
3) If the post above is a story you've already done, you can wait for another entry or keep reading and do the next set of three chapters!
4) If the story is truly something you don't like or aren't comfortable reading, likewise simply wait for another person to post
5) This thread is intended to be for novels only. Someone is more than welcome to make a sister thread for comics should people find this concept agreeable
6) It will likely be better in the long run for the pictures to be on the smaller size. I did mine on a 300x300 pixel canvas.
Hope you guys like this idea! If it doesn't work out, I'll see what else comes to mind
I picked "Time Out" by @Dysis
This is a scene from the second chapter. The main character, Sandra, finds herself alive and having gone back in time after two men come into her house, kidnap her sister, and attack her mom and herself. Sandra finds a mysterious, waif-like girl sitting on her windowsill telling her she has a half hour to act before she will die again.
I loved the tension of the moment after the intensity of Sandra dealing with the attack of two men and the anticipation for what would happen next. A mysterious ghost girl character is always welcome in my book as well!