Hello, Saint here. I am looking for an artist to help in creating a short comic adaption of the first six episodes (first two chapters) of my novel, 'Ex-MACHINA.' A decision on who will be the artist will be made a week from when this post went up.
Panels per page will be 6-8.
The script is still being revised.
Chapters are currently undetermined. Will have a more concrete answer upon script completion. But do not expect anything too long as this is a short adaptation of the first few parts of my story.
What I am looking for:
- Anime art style
- An aesthetic similar to shows such as Ghost in the Shell, Akira, and/or Ergo Proxy.
- Proficiency in background/scenery art.
- Proficiency in perspective shots and dynamic poses/action shots.
- Must be able and willing to depict a gritty, violent, dark, cyberpunk aesthetic.
- Can capture the high life low society aesthetic of the world and some of its characters.
- Experience with doing artwork and paneling for comics.
- Flexibility. I am currently a deployed soldier. Due to environmental factors, my living situation (primarily poor internet connection), and the nature of my job I cannot promise that I will be able to communicate regularly. Please bear with me.
- Stable communication. NO GHOSTING. If something comes up or you no longer are able nor willing to continue working on the project, MESSAGE ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
Must submit examples of your work depicting both character design and environmental design to my Discord or Instagram. If none are available, you may also post them on my wall along with an illustration of the below character from the story in your style:
Original character and design by me.
About the story:
'Ex-MACHINA' follows two detectives and an Autonomous humanoid machine (called an Auto Droid) within a fictional Californian city as they work together to uncover the mystery behind why Auto Droids are beginning to gain self-awareness and turn against their human owners.
Gener(s): Scifi, mystery, psychological thriller, post-cyberpunk.
In addition to some of the things listed in the requirements. I want the story to be in traditional Japanese manga style. No color.
Artists must be able to capture a dark gritty aesthetic of a technologically advanced society littered with crime and plagued by its overreliance on the machines that serve the citizens of the main setting (for reference, think Ghost in the Shell 1995, Akira, Tehcnolyze or Ergo Proxy).
I'd even recommend borrowing from some of the design choices and philosophies used in designing the environment of these works when it comes to visually depicting the novel's main setting.
No use of my work or characters without my permission.
Any art you create for this short adaptation can be posted but a tag or link to either my profile here or my Instagram, @saint01_arts, must be included in any post to give proper credits to the characters and story.
The covert art design is not needed.
Character designs will be provided either via illustration or description.
$15 (USD) per panel/frame.
Payment will be submitted through Venmo or Cash App.
Payment will be submitted on the 1st and 15th of each month until the commission is completed.
If done in under a month. Payment will be submitted on the 15th of that month or the 1st of the following.
Primary source of communication:
Discord or Instagram.
Will convert the story into a script if needed.
Have fun with it. Do not prioritize this short project over more important things.
Be reliable. If you have to drop the project for an understandable reason, let me know.
Note: As I am an artist as well. I may have the tendency to chip into the illustrative process. If this will be a bother, let me know so I can back out of the way
If you previously showed interest in the original post. I may not have seen your replies/DMs due to the poor network connection in my area and my busy schedule. I encourage you to reply here or resend any DMs if you are still interested and I will try to look into them.